The Resolution Book Club

As of this posting, our country has narrowly avoided the dreaded "fiscal cliff," but I still feel very nervous that our lifestyles may not remain as comfortable as they have been for the past several years.  In keeping with that nervousness, I am attempting to cut corners in some areas, one of which is my book-buying habit (trying to balance out my boot-buying habit, which is a topic for another post...).

I have a bad habit of buying interesting books from bargain tables, rummage sales, discards at the library, Goodwill, etc, as well as from the shelves at Barnes and Noble or Books A Million, and never actually getting around to reading them.  I believe that I am probably not the only book-lover who does this, so one of my new year's ideas is to start a "Resolution Book Club".  I want to have read everything on my bookshelves at least once.  I went through them today and chose found enough unread titles to last me through the year (probably).

I am aware that some of the time I will be having a book club for one, but I'm hoping if you have any of these titles unread on your shelves, perhaps you'll join me.  We may only read one or two together, but I'd like to be able to get some interaction out of this blog.  So if you see a title below that you're interested in reading with me and whomever else may be participating, comment, shoot me an email, or message me on Facebook or Twitter and I'll coordinate the times for reading each book!  I hope you'll consider joining me, as some of these tomes are quite lengthy and I may run out of resolution before I reach the end.  This is actually what has already happened to me with several of the titles, but a new year, a new hope, right?

Well, without further ado, here are the titles I will be attempting to read (not necessarily in the order I will read them):



  1. The Theory of Everything by Stephen Hawking
  2. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
  3. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  4. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  5. Tomcat in Love by Tim O'Brien
  6. The Time Machine by HG Wells
  7. Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
  8. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  9. The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
  10. The Wings of the Dove by Henry James
  11. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  12. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  13. Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  14. Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouac 
Hope to hear from you!  Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack