SOL10: A little Vitamin Sea...

It feels more like May than March. The sun is bright, reflecting off the waves, a stark difference from the hazy gray morning we woke up to. The sand stretches to either side of us, dwindling into haze either way, but the water in front of me is clear green-blue and sun sparkles. The warmth of the sun on my toes sets me longing for summer, when I will no longer encase my feet in thick socks and boots. Bare feet mean summer break; pictures of sandy toes and tanned knees in front of blue water.

The beach is covered with sunbathers and walkers. There are a few kids who are braving the still-cold waters of the Atlantic. They run kamikaze into the surf, only to retreat, screaming, and try it again thirty seconds later. Teenagers sprawl, bikini-clad, on brightly colored beach towels, while boys in board shorts horseplay nearby. Here and there are individual chairs of readers, sitting quietly and enjoying their books while soaking up the sunshine. Walkers either meander aimlessly or pace purposefully, but by this time in the day most of the exercise walkers have put up their shoes and left the beach mostly to wanderers and treasure-seekers, chatters and lingerers.

This is my favorite type of beach visit. It's too early for hordes of spring breakers and families, but it's warm enough to actually be at the beach (unlike January and February when you can't go to the beach, you can only look at it). I wish it wasn't Sunday, because in a few hours I have to return to the real world, to finish laundry for the week and worry about groceries and lesson plans, and getting back in the swing after being out for two days last week. Spring break is still six weeks away, and no matter how ready my sun-warmed toes tell me I am, it's back to the real world in a few hours.

Comments

  1. Oh my! Where do you live that people are in bikinis at the beach today? Sounds wonderful! Love your descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were at North Myrtle Beach. It was sunny and 80 degrees yesterday! It was definitely hard to leave!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I really like the imagery of this line: "The warmth of the sun on my toes sets me longing for summer, when I will no longer encase my feet in thick socks and boots."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like a little of your vitamin sea, please. We have 5 days, but who is counting, until spring break. We are all ready! I can't imagine being able to take a day to enjoy the beach - I am quite jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I can't imagine 5 days to spring break... ours is not until the last week of April! It seems so far away!

      Delete
  4. I am envious. It is spring break for me now. And it is cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring break is way late for us this year... my beach days will be over and done by then!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack