A Mission Statement

A few weeks ago, I started the 30 Day Book Challenge on Facebook.  As I have been writing the posts that go along with this challenge, I was inspired by and interested in the varied nature of people who liked the postings.  Some responded to fiction, some nonfiction, some were my adult friends, many were former students, and it got me thinking that THIS should be the result of education.  Teachers, students, parents, and community members should have literate and varied conversation about books and reading, and they should be encouraged to TALK about reading, just talk, not do an assignment, or read for a purpose, or any of that... simply talking about books that have meant something, that have changed our ideas, that have made a difference!  So the other day a friend of mine (who also happens to be my ex-principal), suggested that I make a blog site for these posts.  That's what this is.  I don't want it to be just mine though.  I want it to belong to all of us who believe that education has a greater purpose than a test; who believe that what we do when we teach kids to read has lasting meaning.  So I'm asking you, readers, to share this site with anyone who will listen.  Let's start talking about books again, in a way that shows students why we love them.  Let's have a revolution!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack