Confession Time!

Some books are guilty pleasures; the kind you don't want anyone else to see you reading.  Now, I'd probably never take any of these out in public (unless they were on my Kindle), but I've read them all several times.
  1. The North and South series by John Jakes.  I read these after I watched the awesome miniseries from the 80s featuring Patrick Swayze and Leslie-Anne Down, and out of this list these are probably the least guilty of the guilty pleasures. I learned a lot about history and the Civil War from reading these books, but some parts of them are just.... well, trashy.
  2. The Harry Potter series, which I always come back to when I need entertaining reading that I don't have to focus on so much.  I reread HP after I finished Les Miserables, after reading The Greatest Show on Earth, etc.  And they are great books.  But I can't help but feel that maybe I'm too old to be rereading them again (for the 16th time--not an exaggeration).
  3. The Tithe series by Holly Black.  I have no idea why I read these books.  They are bad.  Poorly executed, sloppy characterization, unrealistic and poorly developed plots, even cheesy names and locations... and yet, I have read them over and over.  Then I have to cleanse my palate with some classics.
  4. The Dragonlance series.  And I'm almost not ashamed by these.  If they had better covers, I would read them in public.  Why do sci-fi fantasy novels always feature some busty lady who needs a bigger shirt on the cover?  They are mostly well-written, and follow the hero's journey cycle through the life experiences of several characters.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I'm just trying to justify having read them so many times....oh well.
Any confessions?

Comments

  1. Mine would be the Hive serious its for like Fith graders but I love it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack