30 Days of Poetry: Day One

My Facebook friend Sarah Donovan is running a poetry challenge on her blog over at Ethical ELA. I was pretty inspired by the idea, and I had been playing with the idea of doing a poetry challenge for April, so I will be spending the next 30 (ish) days posting a poem each day. Hopefully most will be original creations, but I may share some favorites as well. I even bought a great new composition book to host my scribbled sloppy copies (yay for new office supplies).

Such a pretty cover... I ❤ composition books
So without further ado... Here's Day One.

The Best Part of Me

My husband
Calls me stubborn.
I prefer tenacious.
I get it honest.
My great-grandparents built the beginnings of a farm
in 1902
for seven hundred dollars.
It was an astronomical expense.
"You'll never pay it off," people said.
"You're going to fail."
In 2012 
we celebrated the 110-year anniversary
of their "failure":
Mountain View Farm,
run continuously by 3 generations of the Stout family.
Tenacious.
In 1999,
my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
"Maybe five, six, years at the most," the doctors said.
"The kind of work you do? You just can't
expect to continue working 
with your condition."
In 2013,
he finally went on disability.
He worked as a line mechanic
until the day he came home
for good.
Tenacious.
In 2016, 
I bought around 300 books for my students.
"They'll never read," my colleagues said.
"You're wasting your money
and your time. Some kids
just aren't readers."
I drop books on their desks anyway.
We read anyway.
This year, they are readers anyway.
I get it honest.
Tenacious.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack