30 Days of Poetry: Day Two

Today's prompt was to make a list. I tried several different ones, but couldn't get my favorite shoes out of my head. (I know, right...what's that about?) So I started making lists about my shoes, and here's what I ended up with.

6 Meditations on My Favorite Shoes 

You were the most expensive shoes I've ever bought.
I paid $150 for you; a steal because you were
an end-of-season markdown from $300, but
still an uncomfortable amount for this bargain shopper.
You were worth every penny.

I found you slouching quietly
in the top corner of the 
clearance rack--misplaced--
and in the wrong size section.
You were a 9 in a forest of 13's.
I felt an immediate kinship.

Your buttery suede only gets better with age:
at the beginning of every fall, I pull you down 
from the shelves and
stroke your furry brown skin as though I'm touching you
for the first time all over again.

You make every outfit look pulled together.
You dress up my jeans and leggings,
dress down skirts,
match my favorite bag,
and slouch down my calves with the perfect degree of
insouciant charm.

You have walked with me for many miles.
Together we have nervously paced in front of new students,
Stomped the halls in indignation at ridiculous mandates,
Kicked through autumn leaves,
Stood in line for coffee and movie tickets,
And walked the sidewalks of the city.
You have carried me so many places, my favorite shoes.
You have paid for yourselves many times over.

My grandmother always said
"You should never bargain-hunt for
your shoes or your coat." She said,
"Some things are worth paying full price."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack