SOL11: A love story

It's been a long day, and I am finally sitting down in my writing chair, but before I can get started, I have to indulge in a guilty pleasure. I tuck my legs up under me and slowly peel back the silver lid, being careful to nudge every last drop into the cup before carefully folding the lid in half and setting it aside.

I breathe in, smelling memories: Christmas sugar-coated gummies, my mom's old floor cleaner, elementary school scented markers, and that awesome syrup they used to put in antibiotics when I was a kid. I know, I know... maybe it's weird, but chemical orange is one of my favorite scents. The quivering, tensile surface glimmers up at me, reflecting the lamplight.

My tiny dessert spoon carves delicately into the smooth top, leaving scallops in its wake and scooping up a quivering, shiny mouthful, the exact shade of orange as the publish button on my blog (reminding me that I need to get started).

I savor the first tangy sweet taste on my tongue, swishing it around in my mouth until the gelatinous mass dissolves into flavored liquid before gulping it down. I am such a child.

Slice by slice, the level whittles down toward the bottom of the cup. I chase the last drops up the side of the cup and lick the rim. The final scoop is a point of pride: will it come willingly from the bottom? Can I get every last drop? Will I leave any behind? The side slides free of the cup, gravitating willingly into my spoon. I swallow and sigh.

Setting aside the empty plastic cup, I pull my computer toward me. Who would have thought that, at 40 years old, one of the greatest pleasures of my day would be a Snack Pack cup of sugar-free orange Jell-O? In fact, I think I'll write a love story, featuring me and my Jell-O...

Comments

  1. So funny to read this! I made my kids Jell-o tonight for the first time in FOREVER! And you're right, it summons so many memories. I loved the description of the final scoop too. Such great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was trying to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the moment, as I tell my student writers (and write a true slice instead of a Band-Aid)!

      Delete
  2. :D I love the surprise at the end! I kept trying to figure out what food you were eating - I was never a Jell-O kid (something about the texture I think) but I was always curious :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is harder to describe Jell-O than I thought it would be LOL... I was stressing that I gave away what I was writing about too soon!

      Delete
  3. I love pudding cups so I can totally relate to this! A sweet treat is a great way to end a day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...