SOL9: A writing conference with myself

Image result for writing conference
Teacher Me (TM): So how's it going?

Student Me (SM): Not great. I'm stuck. I keep thinking about what I might write but every time I start it sounds stupid.

TM: So tell me a few of your ideas.

SM: Well, I thought about writing from that prompt from Thursday... about being a musical instrument.

TM: Yeah? Did you have a pretty good start on that from your quickwrite?

SM: Yeah. But when I looked at it I couldn't figure out how to finish it. So then I thought about whining a little, or ranting, I guess. I am frustrated about several things right now. But then I thought nobody wants to hear my whining, and ranting tends to not solve anything. Plus I don't want to be perceived as negative (because been there, done that).

TM: Hard same. So what are your other options?

SM: I did a presentation the other day. I had a lot to say during that, but now that I sit down to write it down I feel like I'm just repeating myself and saying things people have already heard.

TM: You know King Solomon said in Ecclesiastes (I think when he was feeling exactly like you feel right now): "There is nothing new under the sun." But there's somebody who hasn't already heard what you have to say. And if you don't say it, they might not get to hear it. Have you read anything recently that inspired you?

SM: (Staring thoughtfully at computer) Yeah. There was this conversation between the main character and herself in this book I'm reading when she's trying to make a decision...

TM: (Sees writer wheels turning) So I'm going to walk away for a minute and I want you to think about how to start that conversation, and I'll swing back by in two minutes and see how it's going.

SM: (Starts typing) Mmm-hmmm.

TM: Leaves, answers some other questions, checks email, swings back by. Reading over her shoulder, I see a piece beginning. SM doesn't look up when I stop, so I quietly keep walking. She just needed a nudge.

Comments

  1. This is genius! I loved every moment and how your roles come through so clearly in the dialogue. And I totally want you as my writing teacher to have amazing conferences like this with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I will admit that my student-self may be a little more pliable than many of my student writers!

      Delete
  2. This is a remarkable idea! I love this! We do this in our head, but actually writing it out would give even more clarity. I might have to "steal" this post idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away! It really helped and it was kinda fun to think about too!

      Delete
  3. I love this! I definitely think that I have to have a writing conference with myself! Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be my writing teacher and lean in to nudge me? Perfect slice for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ultimate "talking to yourself"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda thought if I pretended to be two separate people it wouldn't sound as crazy as me just talking to myself... LOL!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...