SOL7: On the ludicrous proposal of arming teachers

"A book is a loaded gun in the house next door." --Ray Bradbury

Books aren't dangerous, but ideas are.
Books without ideas never burn.
Books whisper stories of injustice to us,
asking us to question the way things are.
They strap our bare feet
firmly
into another man's shoes
and demand we walk miles.
They remove our blinders and our walls,
knock down barriers,
transcend borders.
They strip us of race, religion, ideology,
of all the things that separate and divide,
and ask us to see others as they truly are:
human.

Is it any wonder, then,
that those who benefit from our division
would rather fund a loaded gun for the hands of every teacher

than a library in every classroom?

Comments

  1. Very well put! I have long been suspicious of anyone who does not or will not read. When I see some of my colleagues go off on each other all I can think is, oh man I'm glad no one is carrying a gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I just feel like people who don't read have no business being a teacher (but that's just my humble opinion)! And I feel confident that most of our politicians (I think ALL of them here in NC!) don't read at all!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...