Poem A Day: Awake

Image result for stars
Awake

Stars splashed across the vaulted sky,
I stare unsteadily overhead
reaching for sleep with all my might.
It doesn't come.
Patterns flicker across my eyelids
intermingled with words that dance
through the broken branches of my thoughts.
Boredom stops up my brain
and my concentration stops on the paper.
It stares blankly up at me.
I stare blankly back.
I've counted the stars fourteen times tonight
and every time I came up with a different number.
The clock blinks its red-eyed gaze at four a.m.
and my head pounds with pent-up thought:
dances no one will ever see,
songs no one will ever sing,
emotions I might never feel again.
I've written seventy novels here in my head;
Friends I've never met but know better than myself,
terrors that lurk for me in the shadows the moon won't reach.
I am a great insomniac.
I can do anything when sleep doesn't come.
So save me the Nobel prize
and when I accept,
I'll thank the moon and the stars and the damned clock
for keeping me company so many nights,
and then I'll thank you
for keeping me awake.


In my teenage years and my twenties, I suffered periodically from bouts of insomnia. (Teaching and adulting have since cured me.) I wrote this poem one of those long, long nights when I worried that the rest of my life would be spent in a fog of confusion that no amount of coffee could ever cure. I guess I just had too much to worry about. 

Comments

  1. This is such a beautiful poem! While the topic (insomnia) is something I myself fear, you have turned it into something that resembles a friend -- or a muse. I think you should consider sending this poem out for publication somewhere. I think others would enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack