Poem-A-Day: I Speak Of

Image result for supernova

I Speak Of

The sweetness of raspberries
and frogs scattering from my feet
are dim reminders of my conversations with God.
Sad country songs on the radio, 
the grind of machinery,
and a Beethoven moonlit sonata have somehow
become you.

I run through the damp grass,
reveling in this rain on my skin
and this smile that will not disappear.

Stars appear at night unbidden;
a supernova in close proximity;
an undiscovered radio galaxy.
And all the stars that have exploded before
could not prepare me 
for this celestial happening I cannot comprehend:

This quivering of chest
Tingle of nerve
Eternal buzz of electricity defining
this thing I would defy;
this star that has come to rest,
trembling and tentative,
in the palm of my hand.


I wrote this poem shortly after I met the man who would become my husband. I was taking astronomy classes at the time, and I was enamored of everything I was learning. The things I love make their way into my art. I come back and tweak this one periodically (as I do most of my poetry). It is still one of my favorites.  

Comments

  1. .... could not prepare me....

    I like that stanza a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack