Poem a Day: Lackadaisical Blues

Related image

lackadaisical blues

she smiles slowly--
                                  opening her arms to embrace the sun
                                  yawning with the soft
                                  languid kisses of summer warmth

she is lying in a field--
                                  desiring the sun with all her might
                                  stretching lazily and reaching
                                  toward the skies

she is worthless--
                                  lazy, good-for-nothing, lethargic
                                  barefooted music maker
                                  happily starving artist

on an empty stage--
                                  her smile holds the sun for awhile
                                  light reflects in song
                                  pure lackadaisical

I just finished reading For Everyone by Jason Reynolds. It's about chasing your dreams. Singing was always mine. I wanted to perform, wanted to be onstage, but life had other plans. I wrote this as a response to some things I have heard about myself...I am lazy, I do tend to be lethargic, and I am definitely lackadaisical (I love that word). So this poem is to try and put a positive spin on what was a very negative experience. I may never perform much onstage, but that won't stop me from singing on my own whenever I want to! I still have my dream. Thanks for the reminder, Jason. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack