Poem A Day: Geometric Lament

Image result for desert scape

The sun has fallen
from the expanse of my blood.
I'm chasing tornadoes 
and denying my incongruent angles
to sands in the wind.
Too many waltzes have ended, Mr. Stevens,
and not enough begun--
from the symmetry of culture and poetry
the music continues in three-quarter time.
Ariadne weaves beautiful bandages 
of silver and gold;
I tear them from my eyes,
rejoicing in my inconsistency.
Hating you almost as much as me
and still wanting to trace veins on your neck--
to touch delicate hands
pointing out the stars.


One of the things I love most about poetry are allusions. I love to write them, and I love trying to solve all of the allusions in the work of other poets. Would that I could solve all of the allusions in TS Eliot's The Wasteland! This poem is me playing around with allusion, language, and imagery. There's not that much of a deep meaning behind it (I don't think...) but I love the language!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...