Day 16: Starting the Fire (A Photo-essay)


We were starting a new lesson today based on Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire. (I have to give props for this lesson to Just Thinking blog, where I found this awesome idea.) We are using the song as a jumping off point for research about events that changed the direction of culture. To introduce it, I had the students take out a piece of paper and pen, told them I was going to play a song, and they had to write down as many of the lyrics as possible. They were all hunched over their papers, prepared, their eager faces staring at me, waiting for the challenge.

As the opening notes of the song sounded, they put their pens to paper and waited anxiously. And then the lyrics started. Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray... A few brave souls timidly wrote down a  line or two. Most looked at me like this:
 Image result for horrified Image result for confused Image result for confused

I dissolved into laughter first, then told them to just listen carefully. Eventually it'll start to make sense. By the time we got to JFK blown away, what else do I have to say... we were starting to loosen up a little.
Image result for unsure Image result for hmmm Image result for um okay 

By the third time we've heard the chorus, we're getting somewhere. There's writing, toe-tapping, head-bobbing:
Image result for dance party Image result for dance party meme
And I'm at the front of the room like
Image result for dance party meme 

We had a great time talking about their answers. "No, sorry dear. That line was Trouble in the Suez, not garbage in the sewage." And in spite of the fact that there were a few students who were like:
Image result for dance party meme Image result for i think i get it 

at the end of the class, everyone was smiling and singing the song, and they left excited. Excited! About doing a research project! 
Image result for whaaaat 
Totally just kidding. I'm super excited too. Monday we start the real work, and I hope the excitement carries us through.

Comments

  1. This is a great idea. I can't wait to hear more about this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazing! The pictures and memes definitely add to the excitement of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super idea - and a very engaging post! Loved the pictures, the humor, and the activity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun to read. I was tapping my toes just thinking of the song. The photos were very accurate and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so fun, but their reaction made me feel so old. 1989 was a long time ago! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! I could not believe that I only had 2 students who had ever heard it before. It is hard to believe that 1989 was so long ago, and that they have no idea who Billy Joel is!

      Delete
  6. Cool Project. Enhanced by pictures and the expressions. Can't wait to read further.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw that you had tried this! I hope they had fun with it. If you look now at the original post, I have added images of the finished timeline that is hanging in our hallway. This makes me so happy to know that your students are doing this project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...