Slice of Life Day 8: Where I'm From



I am from music,
from choirs, mandolins, and shaped-note hymnals.
I am from Mamaw's parlor,
gathered around a clangy, out-of-tune piano
to sing hymns with family in 4-part harmony,
surrounded by faded portraits of people
with the same smile shape
and same eyes.

I am from farms and white houses,
from Mother Grace and Daddy Vance,
from green Kool-Aid and cigars.
I'm from family reunions on a shady lawn,
from holding hands in a prayer circle--
From not quite fitting in.

I am from lost things--
from memories and futures,
from time with my mom,
from Alzheimers and Parkinson's disease.
I am from saying goodbye in song to people I wanted to believe would live forever.

I am from books and libraries,
hearing echoes from voices down the corridors of history,
seeing through the eyes of people I am not,
making connections to others in the stories I share with them.

I am from wanting to understand,
trying to listen,
inviting the silent to speak.

I am from the South, but it will not define me.
I am from church, but I will not close my mind.
I am from privilege, but I will not be blind to the hurt of others.
I am from questions; from the hope of finding answers.

Comments

  1. One of my favorite mentor texts. I like your closing very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites also. You are so vulnerable here. My favorite line, I am from saying goodbye in song to people I wanted to believe would live forever" Heartbreakingly true

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites as well. I really like your final stanza--how you connect to the past but look to the present and future. So many resonant lines here... "inviting the silent to speak" is one I especially like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful. It has simplicity and complexity woven between the lines. Such heartfelt words. Simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...