Slice of Life Day 18: Bracket Blowout



I am elbows deep in a bucket of trail mix. Stress eating was always a problem for me. My throat is sore. The seat cushions around me are battered from me punching them, and my poor phone is lying on the floor where I threw it during one particularly violent moment. I am a serene person! How did it come to this? 

Two years ago at this time, I was blissfully reading books and piddling around online. No red face, no screaming, no heart palpitations, no stress eating. Why would any sane person subject themselves to this kind of stress? 
Image result for march madness logo 2018

Because March Madness, that's why. Last year, we went with some friends of ours to Chapel Hill to watch the Tar Heels play NC State. It was a total blowout game (Heels won 107-56), and we had a blast. And the obsession began. We watched every game left in the regular season, and by the time the ACC tournament rolled around, we had turned into people who go to sports bars to watch games.  

And it was totally worth it! Last year, the Heels won the big dance. NCAA champions. Our team was awesome! But this year? This year, I am watching them lose to a number 7 seed in the second round. Which wouldn't have been surprising, if this was about halfway through the season. We went through a spell where we just kept losing, playing without any heart. But then we beat Duke. And all that changed.

The second half of the regular season, the Heels were playing like they meant it. Playing like they wanted to win. But not today. Not today. Today there were turnovers and mistakes, missed layups and rebounds, and terrible, terrible three point shots. They played a hot mess, and this time it counted. And now the game's over, and they are going home. The dance is over.

Teaching can be a lot like college basketball. It's so important to play with heart every time, even on the days it's so hard to find it in yourself. Because there is no Sweet Sixteen, or Final Four, or Championship game. Any day could be the day you lose your chance to make a difference, and any day could put you in the championship game for a kid you weren't sure you could reach. 

Would I trade the frustration, the screaming, the anger for blissful ignorance? Heck no! I love basketball. I love the game. I love screaming at my team, and cheering for them, talking trash to Duke fans, and talking stats with other fans. I wouldn't trade that feeling for the world. I feel the same way about teaching. In spite of the occasional anger, frustration, and screaming, I love what I do. I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

And now if you'll excuse me, I have a championship game to prepare for. My team didn't make it this year, but I'll keep preparing for the big dance. We have one every single day.

Comments

  1. I understand exactly how you feel. At least you are a Tarheel fan (they are my second favorite team). I am a diehard Iowa Hawkeye fan and I can't begin to describe just how bad they were this year. I have't really watched much of the tournament because if they aren't there, it just doesn't seem worth it. And now the Heels are out. I may not watch another game this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you develop the teaching metaphor towards the end. Teaching with heart every day because you never know which is the championship game for that one child in your classroom--brilliant way of looking at it! We are big sports fans here, too. It's hard to even watch Thunder games with my son because he is SO devastated when they lose!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...