Slice of Life Day 14: A Spectacular Failure

I got a call this morning that we were on a two-hour delay (well, actually, I DIDN'T get the call, but that's a topic for another post). Our school day started at 9:50. My 8th graders leave homeroom and have rotations/ specials first thing. They left at 9:58. I didn't say anything about the walkout in homeroom.

After the students left and our planning started, another 8th grade teacher and I stood in the hallway, nervously watching the entry. As the clock ticked away toward 10:00, we wondered together, Will any of our students participate? What will we do if they do? 

10:00.
10:01.
10:04.
10:10.
10:12.
10:17.

The hallway remained silent, empty. Not one student moved. Not one student walked out. Another teacher stopped by to say how glad she was that no one walked out, and to congratulate us on the success of walking "up" instead. I tried to hide my disappointment, but I cannot agree.

Once again, we sent the message to our kids that they can't be trusted. We sent the message to our kids that the way they wanted to handle things was wrong. We sent the message that we should be the ones to make the decisions. We want our students to learn, to think, to make decisions, to handle things on their own, but again and again we send the message that we don't trust them to do any of these things. We want them to be engaged citizens, but we refuse to give them the opportunity to engage.

How will they ever learn if we continuously correct them to do it the way "we" think is right?

Sigh.

And the "big success" of the #17for17 walk "up"? Guess how many students used the hashtag on our school Instagram page? Zero.

It was just another day.

Comments

  1. Read Megan Kate (of linking and overthinking@blogspot) a few people below your post.
    Such different responses at different school.
    I appreciated the unflinching honesty of your post. In a few statements you painted a strong picture, and illustrated the reason fro your disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure I just finished reading and commenting on hers as you were commenting on mine. Such a beautiful tribute and a great way to honor today.

      Delete
  2. I was so interested to read the follow-up to your post, and I'm a little disappointed too! My son does online school at school, but we talked about the walk-out today and the consequences that different schools decided to impose and the alternative walk-up. I don't teach on Wednesdays, so I'm not sure if anyone at my college walked out or if college students are even aware what's going on! Sometimes mine seem pretty unaware of current news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I get it. The conflicting nature of so much in our profession. Hang in there and plant your seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt there were any in my school either. And the same congratulations will happen among teachers. And you are right. I think they get the message of they can't be trusted. But keep working, keep talking, let your students have a voice. They'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The message of trust is so powerful and needs to be something that we pay more attention to! Thank you for posting this! Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a brutally honest post. You are totally right and I feel your disappointment. But, in many other schools around our country, the kids DID get the message, are engaged, and are being heard. All is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is powerful. Thank you for sharing. Giving our students, our young people, the chance and the trust to speak from their place of truth is so essential... and is something that often gets swallowed up by the "just-smooth-it-all-out-and-don't-make-waves" muddiness that surrounds. Keep going. Keep trusting. They will feel your support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our school district allowed high school students whose parents have signed permission slips to walk out for 20 minutes given they do so peacefully - no slogans in hallway, do not disturb the students who choose to remain in class -. About 100 students walked out to the flagpole, lay down on ground to show solidarity with slain students & to voice the protest.

    Some parents decided to go and support the students. Like you, my daughter reminded me that this is the protest by the students for safety of students in schools, not to be hijacked by parents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gradeless Classroom: A Feedback Hack

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...