Slice of Life Day 29: A parting blow before spring break

Today was an early release day. Spring break begins tomorrow, and it is a beautiful, sunny, 75-degree North Carolina spring day outside. Everything seemed great to kick off an awesome break. But, ick, we had to have a faculty meeting after the kids were released. (Mostly, our faculty meetings are not terrible. They're pretty short and basic. I just have a bad attitude because of the topic of the rest of this piece.)

One of my goals for this year was a classroom revamp. I spent last summer scouring yard sales, refinishing furniture, and asking for donations from local businesses, and by the beginning of this year, my classroom was a brand new place. No desks, no typical school furniture. It is beautiful.
My room is a welcoming haven. My kids love having the opportunity to spread out and be comfortable. It's where we have grade level and team meetings; even my committee (which is cross grade level) meets in my room. And it's been a successful learning environment for all of my students for the entire year.

Sadly, that's not good enough for the state of North Carolina's testing program.

This year, the testing manual has been rewritten specifically (it seems) to punish teachers who have chosen nontraditional learning environments. In today's faculty meeting, we were told that we cannot test at round tables. Students may not sit on any "nontraditional" seating. We should start planning now. There are extra desks, but we will have to take it upon ourselves to get them into our classrooms.

So now, my beautiful room that I worked on all summer, that my students have learned in all year long, that they are used to and comfortable in, will have to be dismantled and turned into the cold, hard, sterile, NCDPI-approved cesspit of misery that our schools have to turn into every year about this time.

Because clearly, students cannot learn if they are not uncomfortable.
Students cannot be trusted to take a test honestly.
School is not successful if it is not silent and in rows.
Teachers cannot be trusted to administer a test without a book of rules in excess of 100 pages.

I hate that I end every year on this note. Because every single thing that we say we value in education is negated by the season we are entering now. I guess it would be easier to accept if the powers that be would just be honest about it. Don't tell me this is what's best for kids. This is what's easiest for adults who are not in schools and know little to nothing about students and learning to "manage."

When life gave me a slice today, turns out it was a lemon. What a way to start spring break.

Comments

  1. First of all, your room is lovely. What a pleasant and welcoming learning environment. So I can see why the rules of testing upset you. The whole mindset of testing makes me sick as well. I am sorry that you have to deal with this. But I am thankful that your students have had such a great leaning environment in your wonderful classroom this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been so angry if the directive happened in my district. I also had flexible seating in my room (I did keep a few desks and chairs in a circle. Some kids liked it). But I never had to get rid of it for testing. I think my high school kids would have rebelled! Most felt they did better on the stupid standardized tests because they were comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me sad. Your room looks like a great place to learn. I am sure your students are excited to come to school each day. The testing mania is not fair to teachers or kids. I hope you have a great spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I hate everything about this. Your classroom is the most amazing space! I hope you will be able to put it back together again when testing season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. You have a lovely learning place. I'll be hoping that you can put it together when this testing season is over. (I'm sad that I'm writing the words testing season.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room is gorgeous! I love the tables and it just seems so inviting. I think the testing needs to be revamped to fit the direction our classrooms are heading. Not the other way around. I hope it can return to it's current state after testing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! The testing needs to fit the experience! I worry about the kids too... they have learned in this environment all year, and now, when the stakes are highest, we take their comfort zone away from them? I have said for years that if testing is to really assess a year of learning, it MUST represent the student's experience of learning. So, it should be the same environment, the same atmosphere, the same teacher... I have problems with everything about standardized testing. It flies in the face of all the research we have about best practices and how students learn. And yet we just accept it as normal. It is a cancer.

      Delete
  7. Glenda,

    Your room is beautiful. You have every right to be angry and sad. Yes, taking kids comfort and learning environment away during crucial testing time shows that the power to be are completely removed from what our pupils need to strive.

    The question is: what are you doing about it?

    You are a remarkable, empathetic and excellent educator. What do you think is the best way to change these student-unfriendly and teacher-soul crushing rules?

    Best wishes for your fight against the tyranny.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christie,

    My apology for mixing up the names. I showed the post to Amaze and she loved your classroom. Her comment on the atrocity ( I know it is too strong a word but still) is Oh! no, No.

    Hopefully, you will be able to bring the classroom back to normal after the standardized test and start a petition to bring about the change. May be next year they will let you use the card board partitions.

    Best wishes.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of Life 1: When the World Hates You

Slice of Life Day 7: Sticks and Stones...